Thursday, October 2, 2014

With These Words I Can Sell You Anything

1. The Words "new" and "improved" are placed on packages of products to give consumers a sense that they are taking part in something that is the next best thing. I notice some advertisers use things like: bigger better and improved, 20% more or free, now with something others don't provide. Big business likes to put minimum effort into a "new" product to gain more money while using less to produce the item. But to sell it they use "fancy" and appealing words to coat an almost similar product.

1 comment:

  1. Jordan Riley
    English 91
    Professor Kaiserman

    Blog Response

    I agree with this statement completely, and believe that you answered the question of the prompt. Its quite interesting to think about how major media influences have figured out how to use these words to greatly manipulate consumers views on how great a product actually is. I personally have fell victim to these weasel words many times, and believe that a product will be much more beneficial to my life than it actually turns out to be. I am also happy that you pointed out weasel words that where not mentioned in the article. Now I can be much more aware of just how manipulative major marketing corporations are in trying to weasel into our pocketbooks.

    ReplyDelete